Friday, April 17, 2015

Spring Break - part 1

Since Oliver is a HUGE fan of his car seat (can you hear the sarcasm?), we've been very reluctant to go on any road trips. We did make the drive up to Logan for New Year's, but that is only about two hours away. We hadn't been back to Kansas since last June. Oliver is at that stage in life where he is changing so much. I was starting to feel bad that my family in Kansas was missing out on his little life. So...we decided to make a trip to Kansas for Spring Break. Dave and I were both VERY anxious about traveling with him in the car for that long and often looked online for cheap airfare. Unfortunately we never found any cheap enough.

We left shortly after Dave got off of work on Friday, April 3rd. Our hopes were to make it all the way to Denver, but Oliver decided somewhere around Grand Junction, CO that we were done. We pushed through and made it to Glenwood Springs for the night. We then got up Saturday morning and finished the trip. We made it to my mom's late Saturday evening. We were all done with the car although Oliver did surprise us and wasn't as cranky as I expected. We bought a dual DVD player so Oliver could watch a movie and it seemed to distract him. We also took several breaks and let the boys run around. What can be a 15 hour trip without children ends up being a lot longer than that with children! We always make it a two day adventure.

Being silly at Taco Bell in Price, UT
Beautiful moon in Eastern Utah
Road trippin'
The morning after we arrived was Easter! No matter what time Miles goes to bed at night he always wakes up the same time the next morning and it is always early! Dave hadn't had a chance to hide the Easter eggs yet so we told Miles that Dad needed to go use the restroom and that Miles needed to stay in bed and snuggle with Mom.

It didn't take Miles long to notice the plastic eggs all over Grandma's backyard. We told Miles that the Easter Bunny told us that all of the purple eggs were for Oliver. Miles was very good about leaving those for Oliver. Miles really wanted to go outside and gather the eggs so we let both boys go out in their PJs. Oliver was more excited about being outside and wasn't too interested in picking up eggs. He picked up a couple and then was done. Miles ended up helping him pick up the rest of his eggs. They both had fun running around Grandma's backyard!







After the egg hunt we started getting ready for a yummy Easter dinner and also a visit from some long lost family. With my Uncle Fred's passing last fall, I've been able to reconnect with his boys (the only cousins I have). The coroner was able to find his oldest boy shortly after Fred passed. Fred Jr. has been trying to track down his younger two half brothers ever since. I found out a couple of months ago that they found the two younger boys, Jason & CJ, in Kansas and were able to tell them of their dad's passing. Both of the boys are on Facebook so Fred Jr. and his wife, Ginger, suggested that I "friend" them on there. Jason is only 9 mos. older than me so he's the one I contacted via Facebook. We started chatting back and forth and ended up exchanging phone numbers. We've been texting or chatting on the phone ever since. We've had a lot to catch up on! It's been wonderful reconnecting with those boys and sharing stories of my Uncle Fred since he wasn't really involved in their lives.

When Jason found out we were going to be in Kansas, he offered to make the drive down from Sabetha to Marion to see us and my mom. Mom offered to cook a nice Easter dinner. Jason brought his fiance, Jen, with him. It was nice to meet her as well. CJ didn't make it down, but I'm hoping to see him in May when they have a reunion of sorts for the Carr family.

I can't remember the last time I saw Jason, but I thought it was when we were little. He thinks that they came to our house in Halstead in 8th grade, but I can't remember that for the life of me. I have a horrible memory though. At any rate, it has been a long long time.

How I remember Jason
Us now
Mom was able to give Jason several things of his dad's like a smoker he had made for Mom that she no longer wanted, some pictures, some VHS tapes, etc. Jason seemed to enjoy hearing Mom's stories of Fred. Everyone seemed to have a good time catching up. I'm hopeful that our schedule will allow us to see them again in May!

Jason & Mom
Mom, Jason, & Me
The whole gang
Us with Jason & Jen
And I think I'll end there for now...

No comments: