Friday, May 9, 2008

Flashback Friday

My dear friend, Erin, has been encouraging me to do a Flashback Friday for the last few Fridays. I think this is a great idea, but wanted my first Flashback Friday post to be extra special so I've waited until today! In two days (May 11th) Dave and I will have been married for 8 years! Can you believe it? Time sure does fly quickly when you are having fun! This first Flashback Friday post is dedicated to our wedding!

Dave and I were introduced by my seminary teacher from high school in the fall of 1999. Eileen and her family had decided that they needed a new adventure in their life so they packed up their house and their family in Hesston, KS and moved to the very tiny town of Dayton, ID. My dear husband was one of the many who welcomed them to Dayton and helped them get settled. After getting to know Dave better, Eileen decided that I needed to meet him. I was finishing up my last semester at Ricks College, now known as BYU-Idaho, in Rexburg, ID. Eileen called me one day and asked me if I needed a new friend. I can never turn down the opportunity to have more friends so I took her up on the offer. She asked for my email address and said she would give it to Dave so that we could get to know each other that way instead of awkwardly meeting face-to-face for the first time. We emailed each other back and forth multiple times each day. In early December, with Eileen's encouragement, we finally decided to meet face-to-face. Eileen had bought a new computer and wanted my assistance in getting it all set up. She invited Dave over as well to help me. I have to admit that I wasn't very nice to him initially that night. I didn't even stand up when he walked in the room and introduced himself. I sat on the couch and shook his hand. I wasn't convinced that I needed anything more than a friendship with him and Eileen was convinced that we were perfect for each other and should get married. After spending almost every second with him that weekend I knew that there was something special there and that I should give him a chance and get to know him better. I went back to Ricks to finish up my finals and we continued to email back and forth multiple times daily.

After finals were over Eileen asked if I could stop by Dayton on my way back to Kansas to pick up a 50 pound bag of potatoes she wanted to go to someone in our old ward in Kansas. I agreed because I was interested in seeing Dave again. We spent some time hanging out together that evening and it was solidified in my brain that I wanted to get to know him better. The Wedels offered me a place to live if I was interested. I decided to go home for Christmas to think about what I wanted to do. It didn't take me long to agree to take them up on their offer and was back in Dayton all moved in in time to spend New Years Eve with Dave. For the next three weeks we spent every free moment we had together. After much contemplation on Dave's part and attending the temple for guidance, he proposed to me on January 17, 2000. We didn't waste any time! I was convinced long before he was that we should get married so I had to convince him of the same...although three weeks is a VERY short amount of time.

Over the course of the next couple of months I found an apartment in Logan, Utah to rent so that I wasn't mooching off of Eileen and her family for too long. We decided that we would wait until the end of Dave's school semester to get married. We decided that we would get married on May 11, 2000...I think it was the very next day after finals was done for Dave. I couldn't wait any longer! We got married in the Logan, UT temple. It was a perfect day! We decided to have two receptions. We had one in Dayton the evening of our wedding day and one in Kansas about a week later. Our honeymoon consisted of us taking a week to get from Logan to Kansas. We visited places like the Flaming Gorge, Vernal, UT, Steamboat Springs, CO, Estes Park, Colorado Springs, CO, Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls and Pikes Peak. We had an amazing time together during our first week of marriage!

It is hard to believe that 8 years have past already. We've had our fair share of trials along the way, but are totally and completely still in love with each other! We look forward to spending eternity together! Below are a few pictures from an amazing time in our lives!


Click to play Our Wedding
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

1 comment:

Elissa said...

Hi! This is Elissa Travis-now Boyles. I found your blog through Beth's blog. I enjoyed reading and especially seeing the pictures of how you met since I wasn't around then! Look at my blog sometime- elissa-boyles.blogspot