Monday, May 14, 2012

Misc. happenings

Dave and I celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary last Friday. On one hand I really can't believe it has been 12 years already (time flies when you are having fun, right?), but on the other hand our wedding seems like such a long time ago. We both are different people now and have come a long way together. We've had some really tough trials in our marriage, but together we've made it through every single one of them. Our trials have made us who we are today and have gotten us to where we are now!

I'm eternally grateful for Dave and the man that he is. He really is my perfect soul mate. I'm not the easiest person to get along with and Dave has figured out how to deal with me for 12 years now. He has definitely earned a gold star in Heaven. He was a surprise answer to my prayers way back then and I'm continually amazed at how much my Father in Heaven loves me and it is evident just by Him giving me Dave!

So to celebrate this occasion Dave had our trusty babysitter, Alice, come over for the evening so we could have a date night. We went out to eat at the Olive Garden, made a quick run to Costco, went and saw The Lucky One (Dave even still watches cheesy chick flicks with me!), and then wandered around Target for a while before returning home. 

12 beautiful roses
Dave got a new bike from me for our anniversary (he has wanted one for a while), but he had to take it back because it wasn't put together very well. Poor Dave!

We had a wonderful evening together, but it really didn't end there. Saturday Dave was off work so he pretty much took care of Miles all day and gave me a much needed break so that I could do something that I enjoy...creating things!

I was inspired by a fellow blogger (www.queandbrittany.blogspot.com) to make Miles a tie for church. To buy a toddler tie in a store is usually very expensive. She told me how much fabric I needed and recommended a store where I could purchase the pattern. I decided to turn to Pinterest (my new best friend) to see what I could find on there as far as a pattern was concerned. I found a very simple pattern that could be downloaded for free and a blog (www.imsharingthewealth.blogspot.com) that described the step-by-step process on how to make them. It is such an easy project and the ties turn out so cute! My first tie was a learning process of course, but I cranked out the second tie in like 30 minutes or less. I'm excited to pick up more fabric so I can keep making cute ties for Miles!


Turtles and a crazy dinosaur
He wore his turtle tie to church on Sunday
Sundays are a little stressful at our house because church is right at Miles' nap time. We are slowly figuring out a schedule so that miles can still get his much needed nap and that we can go to as much church as possible. It usually involves one of us going to church alone for the first hour and the other one bringing Miles to church when he wakes up. Since it was Mother's Day, Dave suggested I go to the first hour alone. 

Mother's Day has always been a hard day for me and going to church that day was never a pleasant experience, but it is getting easier. Having Miles helps a lot because I am a mother now, but when women talk about their experiences of carrying their babies for nine months in the womb, etc. I still get uncomfortable because I'll probably never know what that feels like, but it doesn't mean that I don't know what it feels like to be a mom!

Church was nice and uplifting. Our church always gives the women a present and this year we got Forget-Me-Nots. I'm excited to plant it and watch it grow! Miles also made a gift for me in his nursery class. This is my first hand-made gift from Miles. It made me sooooo happy!!! I look forward to many wonderful hand-made gifts from him in the future!

Dave also helped Miles out in the gift department and got me an eReader as well for Mother's Day. I've already downloaded a few books from our library and look forward to reading them!

Isn't it so cute???
Dave told me the hot pad had a Happy Mother's Day tag on it as well, but apparently Miles thought it was trash so he ripped it off and threw it away. That is my Miles!

And while I'm on the subject of Miles...he has accomplished another milestone! I haven't wanted to say anything yet because I didn't want to jinx it, but he is now sleeping in a twin bed! We were so nervous and so worried that transitioning him from his crib to a big boy bed would be a nightmare. We figured he would take full advantage of his new freedom and not go to bed as easy at night and I even thought maybe I wouldn't even get him to take naps anymore. But we were wrong, dead wrong! 

Miles treats his bed as if it was his crib. He doesn't ever try to get out of it after we put him to bed and in the morning and after naps he patiently waits on his bed until we come in the room before getting down. It is absolutely amazing! He has been doing this now for a little over a week. We had a daybed in storage that my grandparents gave us a long time ago so we put that up for him and bought a mesh railing thing to go on the one exposed side so that he wouldn't roll out of bed. It essentially is a big crib with something on all four sides, but he could get out of it very easily if he wanted.

I think he is enjoying having more sleeping space. He really was too tall for his crib. He asked for his crib a couple of times in the beginning but that was it. Dave took his crib down on Saturday and Miles did just fine with that.

My little man is growing up!

No comments: