The last few weeks have been kind of a whirlwind of events for our little family. It is no secret that I've desired to move back to Kansas essentially ever since Miles arrived in our family, but also a little bit before that as well. When Dave graduated from BYU a couple of years ago, my campaign for moving back went in to high gear. It never quite worked out though. Last winter we decided that Dave's chances of getting a teaching position in Kansas would probably increase if he was actually certified to teach in Kansas so he filled out all of the required paperwork and sent in all of the documents the State of Kansas requested. He started applying to positions all over the state sometime around February. A couple of months went by and he finally received word from Kansas that he was certified to teach secondary Biology. Here in Utah he can teach a couple of other subjects as well as Biology, but oh well. Dave sent out tons and tons of resumes and filled out tons and tons of applications with absolutely NO word from anyone...until a few weeks ago.
Going back in my story just a little bit...when Miles and I returned from our spring trip to Kansas, as we were driving through Grand Junction, Colorado I had this overwhelming feeling that maybe if Kansas did not work out for our little family, that maybe we needed to consider Colorado again. We both loved our eight months of living there and have desired to move back if the right opportunity presented itself. I voiced my feelings to Dave and he started looking into that option as well. A couple of weeks later two positions opened up at one of their high schools (Fruita Monument) and Dave immediately applied. It didn't take long before he got an email from the principal asking if they could set up an interview. He, of course, agreed and began waiting to hear back from them to schedule the interview.
In the interim, Dave got a call from a Catholic high school in Wichita, KS (Kapaun Mt. Carmel). He hadn't even applied for a position there, but the principal found his resume on a teaching job search website and decided to pursue him. An interview via Skype was set up fairly quickly. Dave thought the interview went well and started to get a little excited about that possibility. A few days later he finally received word back from Fruita about an interview date and time.
About a week ago Dave was offered the job at Kapaun and asked if he could have a few days to make his decision. Last Friday we drove to Grand Junction, CO for that interview. We drove down and back all in one day and were all exhausted when we got home, but we did manage to squeeze in a little fun while in the area (sorry Richards we didn't let you know we were coming...it was such a fast trip).
Here are some pictures from our quick trip to the Colorado National Monument.
![]() |
| "Where is the sky, Miles?" Our trick to get pictures of his face |
![]() |
| Dave got a good one! |
![]() |
| It is so pretty there |
![]() |
| He loves to throw rocks |
![]() |
| Exploring |
![]() |
| Another good one caught by Dave |
![]() |
| Looking for tunnels |
![]() |
| Wildlife! The first time we've seen something besides deer up there! |
We then spent the majority of the weekend listing out the pros and cons of Fruita versus Kapaun although at that moment we didn't know if Fruita was really even an option since no job had been offered yet.
Dave's deadline to let Kapaun know was Monday afternoon and Fruita was supposed to let Dave know their decision by Monday morning. Dave called me mid-morning Monday and had decided that he wanted to take the Kapaun position no matter what and I supported his decision although I was a little excited about the possibility of returning to Colorado. He never heard back from Fruita.
So...we are moving to KANSAS!!! It all feels a little surreal still. We've got a crazy couple of months ahead of us and I'm not looking forward to packing up our house with the help of a two-year-old! Dave has to report sometime during the first full week of August so our plan is to move the end of July/beginning of August. Dave's teaching summer school at his current high school and is doing an internship at BYU for six weeks this summer so we can't leave until he is done with all of that. We also need to figure out what to do with our townhouse since we currently owe more than what they are selling for. Argh! It'll all work out I'm sure.
Kansas, here we come! Hope you are ready for us!









3 comments:
What exciting news! We are sorry not to have you back, but I know that you always go where you are supposed to and where you are needed - so Kansas is going to be lucky to have you all. Good luck. Pack when Miles is sleeping and it will go faster!
Awww... we are going to miss you guys! But I'm excited you finally get to go back to Kansas, because I know you've been wanting to for a long time. We will have to play lots this summer before you go. Taylor is going to miss Miles.
Wow, congrats! That's so exciting for you!
Post a Comment