Last weekend the new town that we live in had a festival called Old Settlers. I used to love going to Old Settlers when I was in high school because it was a way to see everyone that I hadn't seen much over summer. Sort of like a reunion before school started back up again for the year. There are activities like a parade, fireworks, a car show, softball tournament, mud volleyball, bull riding competition, etc. We thought it would be a lot of fun to take Miles to the parade. We also know that he loves having other kids around so we invited Johanna and the girls to join us and, of course, Grandma. The girls are old enough to understand what parades are all about, CANDY! Afterwards it looked like they had been trick-or-treating. They were fully loaded!
There was a very fun fly-over before the parade started. Miles loved seeing all of the planes and unlike a fly-over in a bigger city (like Provo's jet fly-over), these little planes kept circling around and flew over us over and over and over again. So fun!
 |
| Waiting for the parade to start |
 |
| I was too busy talking to get a good picture of the planes |
 |
| Getting a good view |
 |
| The girls knew where to stand to get the CANDY! |
 |
| Watching the parade while eating their candy |
 |
| Having a good time |
 |
| Keaghan & Laiken with their loot |
After the parade we all went back to our house and had lunch. Everyone then left so that Miles could take a nap. I had some old high school friends in town for the weekend so during nap I got to go hang out with them at the local pool and catch up. It was fun to see old friends!
Grandma came back over Saturday evening so Dave and I could have a date night. We went and got Dave a new phone (one that actually works in our town) and then had dinner with some friends from high school and their significant others. Our plan was to make it back in time to see the fireworks, but we were having too much fun talking that we didn't quite make it. We did get to see them from the road as we arrived back in town...and then one of my biggest fears actually came true. As we turned down our street the street was lit with all sorts of ambulance, firetruck, and cop car lights. I think my heart actually stopped beating! I was so freaked out and just knew something bad had happened to Miles and Grandma. I immediately called Grandma and asked what on earth was going on. She reassured me that all was well at our house, but that all of the emergency people had gone into the house across the street. I immediately felt relief even though I was worried about our neighbors. Dave asked some of the people standing around outside if they knew what was going on and all they had heard was that someone had fallen, but that it wasn't the owner of the house (who is an elderly lady who lives alone). We still don't know exactly what happened over there, but there didn't appear to be any rushing off with anyone in the ambulance so I'm hoping all is/was okay.
The next day after church we made the almost two hour drive out to Fall River to go skiing with my dad and Lisa. I don't do any skiing these days because of my back and I'm so out of shape, but it is fun to just be on the boat with everyone and to swim in the lake to cool off when we need to. We got to watch Dad and Lisa ski on the air chair, always fascinating to watch. Miles wasn't very cooperative and didn't enjoy the boat or swimming in the lake as much as he did last summer. He kept asking, "Go to car now?" Hopefully he'll get over all of that and become a skier boy some day!
 |
| Dave & Dad at the back of the boat chatting |
 |
| Lisa driving while Miles looks on |
 |
| Mom & Miles swimming |
 |
| Dad & Miles driving (this was after the accident, they both look a little shocked) |
 |
| Miles not wanting to swim |
 |
| Dad demonstrating the knee board that Miles would have nothing to do with |
Unfortunately our time at the lake was cut short by an unfortunate accident. Lisa wanted Miles to "drive" the boat but knew that he hasn't quite warmed up to her yet or Grandpa yet so he probably wouldn't sit on their laps so she offered to let Dave drive the boat with Miles on his lap. There is a safety mechanism on the throttle that is supposed to make it so you can't push the throttle down unless you pull up on the ring around it thereby preventing any accidental bumping or children playing with it. Apparently this is not working on Lisa's boat and Miles pushed the throttle down full force without anyone expecting it. Lisa wasn't holding on to anything and basically was thrown in the air for a brief moment until she reached the back of the boat. My dad tried to prevent her from landing on the air chair by sticking his leg out. Lisa got Dad's knee to her kidney area. The air was knocked out of her and she was instantly in a lot of pain. Dave and I felt so bad because we had no idea Miles was capable of doing that. We drove around the lake for a little while, but then decided to head back to shore. We played in the shallow water for a bit before Dad decided to take Lisa on home.
The update from Dad is that Lisa didn't break anything, but is in a lot of pain so her doctor gave her some good pain medicine and told her to stay off of work for a while. Hopefully she is feeling better and better every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment