It's spring and boy do I love the spring! I love to see everything come back to life again and love the warmer temps. It definitely brightens my spirits after a long dark winter.
As mentioned in my previous post, I was laid off early in the month. The next "no-school day" for Miles we got outside and celebrated the fact that mom didn't have to work. Oliver takes about 3 naps a day so it limits our ability to go and do things, but we took the baby monitor outside and played around in our yard. Miles loves to blow bubbles and has his own unique way of doing it.
 |
| Miles blowing bubbles |
|
 |
| Oliver while Miles was blowing bubbles |
I thought since I didn't have to worry about work now, that I'd work on "sleep training" Oliver. My first thought was to teach him how to sleep un-swaddled and then work on weaning him from the binky later. Let's just say both Dave and I have tried multiple times to get Oliver to sleep un-swaddled and we've been very unsuccessful. After a LONG time he'll finally fall asleep, but then he'll only stay asleep for like 20-30 minutes if we're lucky! We've even tried to swaddle him but leave out his legs only or leave out one arm only and haven't been successful with that either. He definitely is going to be harder to sleep train than Miles was. But, if he's swaddled and has his binky he has turned in to a GREAT sleeper!
I decided this month that I'd go ahead and give Oliver his first "haircut" (more like a trim) instead of waiting until he was 1. He really has needed a trim since he was born. It's amazing what a little trimming can do. He looks so handsome!
 |
| Before (notice the hair over his ears) |
 |
| After (I trimmed around his ears and his neckline) |
On April 12th we decided to put all of our Saturday morning household chores aside and go do something fun! We've wanted to check out some of the hiking trails at the Colorado National Monument that leave from the base of the monument but never have so we thought it would be the perfect day to do that. We had so much fun and saw some VERY beautiful sites! We can't wait to go back and explore more trails.
 |
| Heading for the trail |
 |
| Oliver came along too |
 |
| Miles took this picture of the cacti. He wouldn't leave them alone and kept getting "poky things" stuck in his fingers! |
 |
| Heading up No Thoroughfare Canyon to Devil's Kitchen Trail |
 |
| Oliver fell asleep |
 |
| Posing by the rocks |
 |
| So pretty! |
 |
| Miles looks so tiny |
 |
| Dave climbing around |
 |
| Family picture |
My mom and her friend, Dale, found a better hiking backpack for Oliver to ride in at a garage sale this past week and have mailed it to us. We're excited to get it and go for another hike soon. There is a waterfall and a pool farther up the No Thoroughfare Canyon that we want to check out next!
The night before our hike, when we were putting Miles to bed, we were talking with him about how big boys don't need diapers at night and get up and go to the bathroom when they have to pee in the middle of the night. He's been wearing pull-ups overnight for quite some time now, but I was starting to wonder if he really needed them or if he was just using them because it was convenient. That night he stayed dry all night long. Before our hike we decided to reward him with cinnamon rolls for breakfast. The next night his pull-up was wet when he woke up so we decided to implement a sticker chart. When he collected a certain amount of stickers, we would reward him with a prize of his choosing. He immediately decided he wanted ice cream in a bowl with sprinkles and a cherry on top. The next weekend when he had earned all his stickers, we took him to Dairy Queen for ice cream. He was so excited on the way there. He even started singing songs. It was so cute. I just had to get a video of it! He's now half-way to his next reward. He's doing such a great job!
We were in the drive-through for those of you freaked out by his booster seat use!
Easter was a little stressful for us this year. I tried to keep it low-key, but that probably isn't my nature. Miles must've woke up on the wrong side of the bed too and was pretty grumpy all day which didn't help. We've learned from experiences in the past that it's best to do our own Easter egg hunt around our yard than to go to a public Easter egg hunt. Miles just doesn't have the patience and I don't like dealing with him and the crowds! After the boys opened their Easter baskets, we went outside and did an egg hunt with Miles. I've collected those little plastic eggs over the years and now have WAY too many of them for one child, but Miles had fun finding all of them. I'm prepared for next year when Oliver gets to find eggs too! We don't have church until 1:00 p.m. so we spent the rest of the morning getting our ham dinner ready so we could eat it when we got back from church and getting all dressed up for church. I had made all 3 boys (Dave included) matching bow-ties and was excited to see them in them. So cute!
Church was stressful since Miles' attitude hadn't changed so we actually left early and came home and gave both boys a nap. When they woke up we had our loverly ham dinner and a nice relaxing evening. We watched a wonderful video produced by our church about Christ and his sacrifice and resurrection and read a children's book about Easter. We are trying our best to teach Miles the true meaning of these holidays along with the fun stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment