Monday, April 14, 2014

There's a first time for everything

I was typing away last Tuesday morning (4/8/14) while Oliver was sleeping and Miles was busy playing with his toys and watching movies when my boss called. What happened over the next couple of minutes felt like a bomb had gone off in my life. My boss had called to tell me that the main account that I type for (an internal medicine clinic in a small town in Kansas) had been bought by the local hospital and therefore no longer needed our services. I am trained on a few other accounts as well, but he proceeded to tell me that numbers are down across the board and that he had tried for a week to find me a new account to type for, but just couldn't. He said since I only had experience in clinic work and was only available to work part-time that there just wasn't a place for me. Apparently hospital work and acute care is where most of the transcription work is available these days. So, I lost my job. He gave me about another hour to work and then remotely got on my computer during afternoon nap time and removed all of their software. I didn't have much time to process it all before it was all done!

Some background information as well...

The company that I've worked for since right before we got Miles (minus the year I got to be a full-time stay-at-mom) sold last fall to a bigger company that is based out of Georgia I believe. It was a stressful fall for me waiting on Oliver and dealing with this new company. The owner of the original company still wanted to be involved so they made him the Regional Manager versus the owner. The managers pretty much remained the same for me except I now had a new HR department to work with.

Shortly after the purchase of our company, they required our accounts use their transcription program versus the one we had been using. It was a speech recognition program which meant that after the system learned the accounts, we would now become editors versus transcribers. The typed words would be there for us, but they probably wouldn't be 100% correct so we'd have to fix the report. In the process, they gave us six weeks to learn how to edit and the system six weeks to learn the accounts before they essentially cut our pay in half with the idea that we could now get more done in a shorter amount of time. Well, the system didn't learn the account I worked on in six weeks. In fact, when I was laid off we had been editing essentially since the beginning of January 2014 and I was still making all of the same corrections (which shouldn't have been the case). So, I was essentially working almost as much had I actually been typing the report, but getting paid half of what I had before.

This, obviously, led to some feelings of frustration for me. I started looking for other jobs, but just couldn't give up the flexibility that I had with this work-from-home job. So, I hung in there and tried my hardest to get faster.

Now I have no clue what I'm going to do. Colorado is way more expensive than we ever imagined. The utilities alone are enough to make you want to puke. I can't believe how much it costs to heat this duplex that we are renting. I don't want to see how much it's going to cost to cool it this summer! Electricity is high! In addition to that, everything else is more expensive too. We definitely need me to work in order to afford it here. I'm just so sad that I probably won't find another job with the flexibility that I had with working from home. I sure don't want to miss out on anything in those two precious boys' lives that Heavenly Father has given us! So, the search begins for that perfect job. Wish me luck! Ugh!

No comments: