Monday, November 26, 2007

Christmas Vacation

The day after Thanksgiving us and a few of the Kents went hunting for Christmas trees in Idaho. This is an annual tradition for the Kents, but a tradition we have only taken part in once before. The first time we got involved Dave was sent alone to pick our tree while I was in Kansas dog sitting for my aunt and uncle while they were in New Zealand. Our tree that year was a Charlie Brown tree for sure and couldn't even hold up most of my ornaments. So...our goal for this year was to find a sturdier tree. I think we were successful, but our search took a LONG time. We climbed all over that mountain and the entire time all I could think of was the movie Christmas Vacation. I just knew that when we found the right tree a beam of light from heaven would shine down and let us know that was the one! There were definitely moments of frustration because I have an idea of what the perfect tree should look like and of course perfect trees aren't growing on the side of a mountain. After searching for about an hour we did find a tree I would consider perfect, but it was taller than the rules would allow for us to cut down and wouldn't have fit in our house at all. We settled for the next best tree. It isn't perfect, but it works. It has character and looks pretty darn good all decorated! Looking back on the experience I think it was fun and will provide lots of memories for years to come, but in the moment I have to admit that I was pretty frustrated. I wish I wasn't so picky sometimes (as I'm sure Dave wishes too)!

Getting ready to go tree hunting

Grandma Dorothy & Ella

We're ready!

The perfect tree, but way too big!

Dave cutting down our tree

Yeah, we found one!

Holly & the tree

Dave & his truck full of trees

No comments: