Friday, October 9, 2009

Miles had pictures taken

Here are just a few of the pictures Miles had taken the other night! One of my dear friends has a sister who does professional photography. As a welcome gift to Miles she took his pictures for free. We are so excited about how they turned out and can't wait to see the rest. You did a GREAT job Catrina!

To view a couple of them, visit Catrina's blog!

Sunday, October 4, 2009

The rest of the story part 1

Two of the four grandmas are here this weekend to meet Miles so I'm taking advantage of the extra help and am finally doing a post. Amazed, aren't you? Fair warning, this could potentially be a long post, but there will be pictures at the end!

We were "approved" to adopt last November. This essentially means that we passed our home study, background checks, etc. So, our wait began. Over the course of the next nine months we were contacted about 12 babies that were available for adoption. In almost every situation our caseworker called to see if we wanted our profile to be shown to these birth moms, but then we never heard another word so we assumed she had chosen someone else. We got a little bit farther in the process in a couple of situations, but ultimately it didn't work out.

We had a very quiet summer with absolutely no calls regarding adoption and I started to get frustrated. At the beginning of August while Dave was in Alaska visiting his brother I spent an entire Friday evening on the computer researching ways that would help us spread the word that we wanted to adopt. The very next morning I woke up to a VERY exciting email waiting in my inbox. An adoption agency in Orem had found our profile on Parent Profiles and was in need of a couple for a baby on an urgent basis. I immediately called the contact person for this agency and gathered more information. I then called Dave to see if this was something he was interested in pursuing and he agreed. This is what started it all and began the emotional roller coaster we were on for the next month. In the end this particular birth mom did not pick us, but it wasn't long before Miles joined our family.

Not even a week later we got another call from this agency saying that a birth mother had picked us. We couldn't be more excited!!! This baby was due at the end of Sept. so we had about a month to prepare for the arrival. Over the course of the next few days we started to not feel so good about this situation and were wondering if maybe we should not pursue it. There was a miscommunication between us and the agency and this situation was going to cost us quite a bit more than what we were comfortable with. After many prayers were said and several tears were shed we decided that we needed to back out. This had to be one of the hardest things we have done up to this point.

The tears hadn't even dried when I decided to check my email again. Waiting in my inbox was another exciting email. I thought for sure that this was an answer to our prayers and the reason that the last situation didn't feel right. This email was from an adoption agency located in Layton. They had a baby that was born that exact morning and was located in Michigan. They wanted to know if we were interested and if we were able to fly out to Michigan immediately. We talked it over quickly and decided that we would do whatever it took to get this baby. Everything changed in the next 24 hours or so though and the mom started having doubts about her decision to place. We patiently waited for her to make her decision before we flew out there. About three or four days later we received word that the birth mom was being discharged from the hospital and was going to keep the baby. Up to that point that was the farthest we had made it in the process so when we received word she was keeping the baby we just broke down emotionally. I pretty much cried that entire weekend and wondered, "why me/us?"

The next couple of weeks were very quiet, but I think it gave us time to heal and prepare for the next roller coaster ride. Late one Thursday night (11:30 p.m.) we got a call from the agency in Layton. They had a birth mom who had delivered a week previous in Colorado. They bought her a train ticket to Utah and were wondering if we would be interested in this baby. We were reluctant, but of course agreed. When the day arrived for the birth mom to arrive in Utah she never got off the train and they never heard a word from her again. Once again, this was very hard on us, but each step helped us get a little bit more prepared. This birth mom was to arrive in Utah on a Friday evening and by Monday morning we received another call from the agency in Layton.

The day was Sept. 14th. They had a birth mom in North Carolina who had delivered a baby boy that morning. By this point we were VERY hesitant and reserved. We, of course, wanted to pursue the situation, but also wanted to be reserved in order to protect ourselves. I told the caseworker that we really did not want to fly out to NC until we had almost 100% confirmation that this birth mom was going to place. They seemed to be under the impression that this was the case and that the birth mom was positive she couldn't raise her baby. The agency here hired an attorney in NC to begin all of the legal paperwork while we looked for flights out there. Late in the afternoon I received a call from the attorney and he recommended that we not hop on any plane too quickly because he didn't think the birth mom was 100% sure. He said we should give her a day to make a decision. The next day seemed to bring better news. Everyone was under the impression that she was going to go through with the adoption, but that she was very interested in meeting us first. We booked a flight for that evening and arrived in NC bright and early the next day.

We got off the plane and hit the ground running...

(more to come)

Friday, October 2, 2009

Teaser

Here is a fairly recent picture of our sweety pie! I promise more pictures and the entire story is coming soon! I love my new job, but am hating that I don't have any time off!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Home sweet home

We made it home late last night! It is such a great feeling to be home after being gone for so long! Because of my new job though I have no time off so we are trying to adjust to our new life while I work as much as I possibly can making up for time I've missed already this week. Dave goes back to work tomorrow. I promise I'll post more pictures and give the rest of the story when I get a free moment or two, but as most of you know there aren't many of those with a new baby around!

Monday, September 28, 2009

Introducing...

Miles Holden Kent


Born Sept. 14th in North Carolina
Joined our family Sept. 28th

We couldn't be more excited about this new adventure in our lives!!!

As mentioned previously the camera cords got left at home in our mad dash to get out here to NC so for now all we have are pictures from our phone cameras...sorry : (

We have to stay in NC until we get clearance from both NC and Utah to be able to travel with him and we are hoping that comes quickly...like TOMORROW! We've been out here for almost two weeks now and are ready to get home and start our new life!

I'll take more pictures of him tomorrow. As soon as we get home I'll do a post about how Miles came to join our family and will post pictures taken with our "nice" camera.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Forgot the camera cord...

As most of you know, we are currently in South Carolina. We flew out here rather last minute-like and get to hang around for another week or so. We are soooooo thankful to have Dave's sister, Shannon, and her family to stay with while we are out here!!!

I've taken a few pictures of our trip so far, but of course left the camera cord at home. So, everyone will have to be patient until we get home to see what our trip was like ; )