6/19/09 continued:

Us girls at the Crazy Horse Memorial

The first blast on this mountain was in 1948. As you can tell from the pictures the memorial is not complete. The original sculptor (Korczak Ziolkowski) has passed away, but his family still spearheads the project. They accept no government funds to complete this project so it is moving slowly. The visitor center and other avenues are where the funding comes from. I'm not sure this will be complete in my lifetime! It will be amazing when it is done though!

Here is a small replica of what the finished project will look like. All four 60-foot high heads on Mt. Rushmore would fit inside just Crazy Horse's head! It is HUGE!!!

Sylvan Lake

Cathy highly recommended we visit Sylvan Lake while in the area and I'm glad we did! It is so peaceful and so beautiful there!

Dave doing what he does best, exploring!

Me, Cathy & some random dude trying to keep up with Dave

Panorama shot of Sylvan Lake

So cool!!!

When a lady from our church found out that we were going to Mt. Rushmore she only said one thing about our trip and that was that we should drive Needles Highway. I'm glad she recommended it...truly amazing! Essentially this tiny road winds between huge rock formations.

Part of the "needles"

Cathy's Lexus barely fit through this tiny opening!!!
There are signs all over that tell you to honk before entering tunnels. Dave had a fun time honking the horn while I videoed our journey through the sunroof!
1 comment:
I am really amazed at how beautiful it is there! What a great trip.
Post a Comment