Thursday, July 16, 2009

Projects around the house

While I was in Kansas Dave tiled our main bathroom. He knew that I had that project on the agenda for July so he thought he would surprise me and get it done while I was away. What a GREAT husband! Plus, I'm sure he was glad that I wasn't there to offer my "opinion" on his work! I came home to this lovely surprise...


We pretty much hit the ground running from that point on because I was on a mission to get our main bathroom functioning again! In my remodel design for the bathroom I wanted to incorporate a lot of the same materials that my mom had us use for her bathroom remodel last summer. I loved how the bead board looked up on her walls so I wanted that in our bathroom. I also like her pedestal sink and how it makes her bathroom feel bigger. Our main bathroom is so tiny that I was looking for any way to make it feel bigger! I'm very excited and very pleased at how our bathroom turned out! I also LOVE the fact that Dave can pretty much do anything I ask of him when it comes to remodel projects! He is amazing!

Putting the bead board up

Installing the pedestal sink

The finished product!

Another great idea my mom had for her bathroom was to use hooks to hang towels on versus the traditional towel bars. I loved the look and stole the idea for our own bathroom!

We painted the walls so they are no longer yellow. Our two bathrooms are now the same color and eventually the top half of our living/dining room will be that same color.

On top of having to do all of this bathroom remodel work, our air conditioner of 17 years decided it was officially done working. We spent several days trying to figure out our best plan of attack and the cheapest route to go while living in a VERY hot house. It made for the bathroom remodel project to be somewhat miserable as well. We decided to go ahead and replace the air conditioner and furnace together since the furnace is just as old as the air conditioner. We also decided to go the high efficiency route because all of the rebates/incentives from the government and the local gas company made the high efficiency systems almost as cheap as the cheapest options. Don't get me wrong, we still had to pay a lot more money than we wanted to, but now we have a VERY nice heating/cooling system that should last at least another 17 years!

The mess in our backyard while the installers were here! I was essentially locked in the "office" all day with the dogs. The installers were here from about 8:45 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. last Friday! It was a LONG day, but now we are cool again!


AND...I'm officially caught up with our life on this blog! Yea!

3 comments:

Richards Family said...

I love the new bathroom! You guys inspire me to keep working on my house.

Elaine Shandra said...

The bathroom looks great!! Dave did an amazing job! :)

Juannaelmi said...

It looks great and I am glad you guys are dying of heat upstairs anymore! Now that we have an upstairs I am exceptionally glad we have ac.