Monday, May 17, 2010

Impetigo

So, about a week and a half ago Miles' nose starting running and it ran pretty much constantly for that entire time (I figured it was due to teething). Towards the end of last week he started getting VERY protective of his nose and refused to let us wipe it for him. He would scream bloody murder if we tried. On Friday I noticed that the area directly below his nostril was getting a little red and thought it was just irritated from all the wiping. Yesterday we traveled to Tremonton for Lily's blessing (pictures to come later) and over the course of the day a "whitehead" formed and gradually got bigger.


Then this morning I found him in his crib with a blood streak on his sheets and this is what his nose looked like:


I was reluctant to take him to the doctor, but decided it probably wouldn't hurt to have it checked out. They worked us in right away and boy am I glad we went. He has impetigo caused by a staph infection. Because of its location, on his face and close to his eye, they almost admitted him to the hospital to treat him with IV antibiotics. The nurse practitioner called a pediatric ENT specialist to get their opinion and decided he could be treated with a shot of antibiotics and then sent home on oral antibiotics. He has had a couple of doses of antibiotics now and I think his sore looks much better. We'll see how it looks in the morning. He has a return appointment tomorrow to make sure it is responding to the antibiotic like the doctor wants it to.

If you look closely you can see his swollen face next to his nose and under his eye on his right side. Apparently that is where the infection is and the sore just happens to be where the infection is draining from.

The nurse practitioner thinks he must have had a little scratch on his face and when his nose started draining, bacteria from his nose worked its way into his skin to cause the infection since neither Dave or I have had strep throat lately nor do we have nasty wounds with staph infections (those are the two main sources of staph infections).

Lovely, huh?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby! It's so hard to know when to take them to the doc and when you're over reacting! Good for you for following your mommy instincts :)
I hope he heals quickly, that looks pretty raw ;(

Que and Brittany's Adoption Journey said...

Holy cow! I'm so glad everything worked out.

Jody said...

Good for you! You're the mom. You ALWAYS know what's best. NEVER, EVER, EVER be intimitated by the medical community.

I hope he gets well soon. Watch for yeast (oral thrush as well as diaper rash).

I can't wait to hold him. He is so dang cute.

yostyid said...

Poor Miles!! I am glad the antibiotics are working and I hope they keep working.

Jen said...

Poor Kid! It looks like he is happy even when he is feeling sick!

Elaine Shandra said...

Glad you decided to take him to the doctor and that he's on the mend!