Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Relief!

I have to admit that I have been pretty frustrated with my hospital photography job lately, which for those of you that know me really well are probably chuckling at because you are saying to yourself, "When is she not frustrated with her job?" I don't know if I just pick crappy places to work for or if my expectations are too high, BUT...lately I've been very frustrated.

About two months ago my boss called me in desperation and said that the girl covering another hospital about 30 minutes from my house was quitting and she was wondering if I could help "cover" that hospital while she found someone to replace the girl that was leaving. I was interested in picking up some extra hours so I gladly agreed. As already mentioned...that was two months ago! You would think two months is long enough to find a replacement, right?

This job is commissioned based and so it has turned out to not be a wise financial decision for me to drive up there and back five days a week. In Utah, especially Utah County, there are a lot of big families with NO money so selling hospital pictures (taken mostly by nurses who could care less about the quality of their pictures) is pretty darn hard to say the least. One pay period I made a little over $6/hour and I could hardly believe it! I haven't made that little in years!! So, about two weeks ago I finally stood up for myself and told my boss as of Dec. 14th I would no longer be able to help "cover" this other hospital. She gave me all of this sad sappy stuff like hiring for that area is next to impossible, etc. I just stood my ground and told her I had to look out for myself for once.

Well, this afternoon I got a call from her and guess what...she has hired not one, but two people for that hospital!! So, because I am the Area Trainer I get to train these two new girls so that I can have some time off at Christmas to relax with my dear hubby who gets two weeks off at Christmas! I've realized that my boss is "one of those people" that when you put the pressure on, she can get it done. I think she just figured I had it all under control and everything was running smoothly until I started to complain. I don't think it helped either that the nurses were feeding me with things like, "You know she isn't worried about hiring anyone because she knows you will do it" and "She is just taking full advantage of you."

The side note in this story is that the company is thinking about creating a new position called Area Manager. Because my boss lives in Salt Lake City she has approached me about my interest in this position for Utah County. I would basically do all of the interviewing, hiring, training, firing, etc. for the three hospitals in this area. I told her I would be interested in learning more about this new position, but have not committed to anything yet. So...we'll see what happens.

No comments: