I've had the privilege of working from home for a little over six years now. I had a few occasions where I really wanted to do something different so I ventured out and got a job being a portrait studio manager and the like, but I've continued to work from home at least on a part-time basis. It was my hopes that we would receive children into our home at some point and me having a job at home would make things easier, for example not worrying about having to find daycare, etc.
When I became a WAHM (work-at-home-mom) I had no idea how hard it would actually be to work full-time while taking care of all of the mother and wife responsibilities. I thought being a WAHM would be the perfect fit for me and my family because I would still be involved in the daily routine of raising Miles, but would also be able to contribute to our finances. Everyone who knew I was working from home would say things like "that is so wonderful that you can work and be at home." Although it was a huge blessing, it was also a HUGE struggle for me as well. I remember when Miles turned four months old and his sleeping habits changed and I literally cried every day. I didn't have enough hours in the day to get everything done. I felt like a failure at motherhood and at being a good employee. I finally approached my boss about cutting back my hours to what they call mid-time, between part-time and full-time. He agreed to let me do this with the end result of me working back up to full-time again as soon as possible.
Well, here it is about 1 1/2 years later and I'm still only able to do mid-time. Miles keeps me so busy and it is hard to find time to devote just to work...hence the reason Miles joined the daycare world in August, which he LOVES!
But, the good news is that on October 7th I will become a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom)! I couldn't be more excited! Because of recent help from the government we received in the form of the adoption tax credit and our dedication this past year to getting our debt level paid down, I'm able to finally quit my job and see what it is like to be a SAHM. I always thought I'd be a SAHM from day one, but because of a few bad decisions we made early in our marriage financially, our efforts to try and conceive naturally (four rounds of artificial insemination and two rounds of in vitro), and ultimately Miles' adoption that cost us about three times what we were "prepared" for, I just wasn't able to quit when Miles joined our family. I had also just started with a new company and had no time off when we flew out to North Carolina to pick baby Miles up so my work went with me. I worked the whole time we were there and also from the second we got home until now. Needless to say I'm ready for a break and ready to enjoy some great times with Miles.
I am a bit nervous about what we will do to fill our time, but everyone around me says I'll be surprised at how fast our time is filled up with "things." I have a long list of things I want to get done too like finishing his Christmas stocking I started shortly after we brought him home, make a blanket out of his old crib sheets, paint the kitchen cabinets, and do some deep cleaning to our house. I also want to take him to story time at the library and to the transracial adoption playgroup weekly. It makes me giddy to think about all the fun we hopefully will have! Having no job is a whole new world to me since I've pretty much worked nonstop since my first job back in high school. This should be fun....
And here are a couple of unrelated pictures for you to enjoy...
When I became a WAHM (work-at-home-mom) I had no idea how hard it would actually be to work full-time while taking care of all of the mother and wife responsibilities. I thought being a WAHM would be the perfect fit for me and my family because I would still be involved in the daily routine of raising Miles, but would also be able to contribute to our finances. Everyone who knew I was working from home would say things like "that is so wonderful that you can work and be at home." Although it was a huge blessing, it was also a HUGE struggle for me as well. I remember when Miles turned four months old and his sleeping habits changed and I literally cried every day. I didn't have enough hours in the day to get everything done. I felt like a failure at motherhood and at being a good employee. I finally approached my boss about cutting back my hours to what they call mid-time, between part-time and full-time. He agreed to let me do this with the end result of me working back up to full-time again as soon as possible.
Well, here it is about 1 1/2 years later and I'm still only able to do mid-time. Miles keeps me so busy and it is hard to find time to devote just to work...hence the reason Miles joined the daycare world in August, which he LOVES!
But, the good news is that on October 7th I will become a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom)! I couldn't be more excited! Because of recent help from the government we received in the form of the adoption tax credit and our dedication this past year to getting our debt level paid down, I'm able to finally quit my job and see what it is like to be a SAHM. I always thought I'd be a SAHM from day one, but because of a few bad decisions we made early in our marriage financially, our efforts to try and conceive naturally (four rounds of artificial insemination and two rounds of in vitro), and ultimately Miles' adoption that cost us about three times what we were "prepared" for, I just wasn't able to quit when Miles joined our family. I had also just started with a new company and had no time off when we flew out to North Carolina to pick baby Miles up so my work went with me. I worked the whole time we were there and also from the second we got home until now. Needless to say I'm ready for a break and ready to enjoy some great times with Miles.
I am a bit nervous about what we will do to fill our time, but everyone around me says I'll be surprised at how fast our time is filled up with "things." I have a long list of things I want to get done too like finishing his Christmas stocking I started shortly after we brought him home, make a blanket out of his old crib sheets, paint the kitchen cabinets, and do some deep cleaning to our house. I also want to take him to story time at the library and to the transracial adoption playgroup weekly. It makes me giddy to think about all the fun we hopefully will have! Having no job is a whole new world to me since I've pretty much worked nonstop since my first job back in high school. This should be fun....
And here are a couple of unrelated pictures for you to enjoy...


3 comments:
I'm so excited for your new adventure as a SAHM! It's awesome that you're able to make your dream come true! Now we'll have to plan to play :)
That's awesome, Holly! It is a big transition, but since you've worked at home you've been sliding slowly into that position for awhile. You'll like it, just make a routine and I would encourage making playdates frequently! You'll love it! Congrats! Love, Erika
Hey! That's exciting! I hope you love your new career as much as I do :) Being a stay at home mom is certainly a full time job! I cannot imagine how you've been working from home as well - wonder woman!
I'm so happy for you!
Post a Comment