Sunday, December 7, 2014

Fall Break

Dave happened to get an entire day off of work from both jobs while he was on Fall Break. We had been talking about riding the commuter train for quite some time so we finally took advantage of Dave's day off and went for it. So, on Friday, October 17th we took the train from Provo to Salt Lake City and back.

Knowing Oliver wouldn't sleep while on our adventure, we gave him his morning nap and then left late morning after he woke up. Miles was SO excited to ride the "fast train."


He sat like this for most of the ride
Once we got to SLC we hopped on the Trax system and went downtown. We hadn't been to the City Creek Center shopping center since we moved away shortly after it was completed and I was interested in checking it out. I love the concept of an open-air shopping experience. It was so pretty, but what an experience! It was so busy because the whole state was on Fall Break. We got lunch in the food court (along with the rest of the world...lol!) and then decided to head across the street to Temple Square.

After I took this photo I noticed a sign that said, "No climbing on the rocks." Oops!
Before taking the boys to see the temple up close and personal, we thought it would be fun to take them to the Church Office Building so we could ride the elevator to the top. I figured Miles would love being that high up and having a view of the entire valley. Things have changed since I was there last. You used to be able to take the elevator up yourself and wander around. Now you have to take a guided tour. We had to wait a little bit before the next tour started, but it wasn't too bad of a wait. Miles had reached the end of his interest level before the tour was over, but they kindly let us go back down the elevator alone and we were on to the next stop.



Seeing the temple from up above
After the Church Office Building we walked over to Temple Square. Miles thought the reflection pool was the coolest thing! We played in the water a bit before heading to one of the visitor centers. One of the centers has a Christus statue that I wanted the boys to see. Miles has been there before, but I knew he wouldn't remember it.

Pic with mom by the reflection pool
Checking out Dad's ears
The Christus statute
We then began our journey home. Man I wish Oliver would sleep in his stroller or somewhere other than his crib at times like this!

Overall it was a nice day spending time together as a family and doing new things. But, in true Holly fashion, I packed way too much in one day for the boys and on the way home we had two VERY cranky boys! I felt so bad for the other passengers on the train on their way home from work at the end of what could've been a long day/week for them. At least we're not regulars!

Next time we're thinking about just riding the train from one end to the other and back again with no getting off. I think that would've made Miles just as happy. I'm slowly figuring out this mom thing!

No comments: